Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Poet Paces the Path

1 observations

Here we are, July 18th. THAT day. The 12th anniversary of the poet laying pen to page and summoning into the universe the First Panther Cycle. It destroyed the world he was in the day before, and roughly shoved him through a birth canal of fire and blood that he would emerge through, months later, reborn (for better or worse) as the Poet Laureate of the Virtual Universe.

The irony of this label, this domain of honor, was that he did not and does not live in the wires and fibers of metal and glass, but in a flesh and blood world where those who have honored him have laid laurels and their own souls at his feet, and those who disapproved of his actions have banished him from their lives and even sought to take sometimes comical, sometimes awful, revenge upon him.

So here it is, before I take my earned break (something he can never do), a final handful of a dark pelt. It is the final poem of the final cycle, the 93rd. There have been others since her, some more worthy of his affections and his words, some pretenders merely seeking the same immortality that she captured, not by her own efforts, but by the heart of a man she could not stand beside when the terrible effects of his lonely devotion to promises made to her fell to him, alone to carry.

But this is what was said, and when it was said, he meant it in ways you and I may never, in our worlds of gray and glamour, never comprehend.

A Poet Paces the Path

there is a trail in the tall grass.
panthersigns obvious.
and I must follow them.
for, though cursed and crushed.
and ultimately, made tragedy,
this is my path.
my road.
my vision.
my destiny.
and, purified or pitied.
loved or laughed at.
rejected or raised.
it is where I will die.


William F. DeVault. all rights reserved.

When's the last time you went 300 days with a single day off? Well, perhaps the poet s right and I need the break. As the poet has been known to say when asked of future plans, if I am alive, I shall be back. - EJ

1 observations:

William F. DeVault said...

People always bitch at me for not allowing comments on my website. We allow comments here, and not a single soul has commented on so long I feel like checking with my statistics provider to see if they are making up the numbers of people who stop by!

The Amomancer Tweets!

    follow me on Twitter

    Explaining the Tags

    You will note, gentle reader, that all works under this blog now display "tags" to help classify and assign the works for your review and enjoyment.

    These largely fall into 4 categories:

    Year of writing, e.g. "1999"
    Book published in, e.g. "from an unexpected quarter"
    Inspiring muse, e.g. "Aubergine"
    Genre, e.g. "erotica"

    We are still in the process of cleaning up the tags, so please bear with us. Yes, some muses are classified under more than one tag, some poems appear in more than one book, or not yet in any volume, and some years are...hazy.
    free counters