Thursday, February 18, 2010

for Mary

0 observations

I want to feed your hunger
or, hungers, if you please.
I want to be your albatross,
your habit, your disease.

I want to make you smile a while,
if nothing else is to gain
but the knowledge I have done so,
having bartered for your pain.


William F. DeVault. all rights reserved.

A brief annotation. I have come to realize that, owing at least in part to my tendency to be attracted to women who are somewhat wounded or damaged, at least temporarily, and that I draw my inspiration, the energy behind my poetry engine, from the emotions they stir in me, that perhaps I am not suited to be in a relationship at all. Rather, I am a trouvare, a troubadour, truly the amomancer, just here to help people heal and be on their way to the best of my ability as I continue my triage of the human heart. My affections are honest and earnest, but I tend to stumble into situations with people who are ill-equipped to return the feelings, and that by entering such situations with both eyes open and a respect for the past (mine and theirs) and the future, and boundaries that I must define (I have, in the past, allowed the women to set the boundaries, usually a critical flaw in the relationship, considering their fragile and over-reactive states) my sanity and their often-guilty consciences would be better served. This makes sense, psychologically, as it would feed into my champion mode, my need to serve a purpose that I perceive as nobler than self, to be able to write well.

Okay, maybe not brief an annotation. But perhaps, in some ways, the closest thing to a newly perceived absolute regarding myself that I have found.

0 observations:

The Amomancer Tweets!

    follow me on Twitter

    Explaining the Tags

    You will note, gentle reader, that all works under this blog now display "tags" to help classify and assign the works for your review and enjoyment.

    These largely fall into 4 categories:

    Year of writing, e.g. "1999"
    Book published in, e.g. "from an unexpected quarter"
    Inspiring muse, e.g. "Aubergine"
    Genre, e.g. "erotica"

    We are still in the process of cleaning up the tags, so please bear with us. Yes, some muses are classified under more than one tag, some poems appear in more than one book, or not yet in any volume, and some years are...hazy.
    free counters